S.V.P. completes 150 years in India

 

Founded in Paris in 1833 by a young Frenchman Frederic Ozanam, the Society of St. Vincent de Paul came to Mumbai in 1862, when the Conference of Our Lady of Hope, Bhuleshwar, was established by Fr. Leo Meurin, S.J. (later Bishop Meurin of Bombay) in the Cathedral there. With the closure of the Cathedral in 1942, the Conference was transferred to the Church of Our Lady of Health, Cavel. The second Conference, the Conference of St. Teresa, Girgaum was established in 1862 in Mumbai by Fr. Meurin. Early in 1863 he established four more conferences in Mumbai, namely, the Conferences of St. Peter, Bandra, St. Joseph, Umerkhadi, Our Lady of Victories, Mahim and St. Anne, Mazagaon.

 

On October 26, 2011, Vincentian from all over Mumbai gathered at Our Lady of Salvation Church, Dadar for the Holy Eucharist which was concelebrated by His Lordship Bishop Agnelo Gracias and four priests. In his homily Bishop Agnelo congratulated the Society in Mumbai and in India on the attainment of its 150th anniversary. He said it is an occasion of much rejoicing and giving thanks to God for all the blessings and favours and for the work He has deemed fit to accomplish through the humble efforts of the Society over a span of 150 years. Thereafter, the members proceeded to Dr. Antonio D’silva School Hall, Dadar for the anniversary celebrations.

 

At present, there are 6,696 Conferences all over India consisting of 77 Central Councils and 598 Area Councils. The total membership is 61,864 - 31,359 men, 18,782 ladies members and 11,723 Youth members. It is a heartening that the membership of young people in the Society in India is growing. They are on the threshold of becoming a truly Vincentian resource.

 

 

 

 

( Back to HIGHLIGHTS )

 

 

 

 

 

 

Australian Vincentians visit India

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

( Back to HIGHLIGHTS )